Is it the great phone revolution of all time? Fuck…
You may have noticed with the recent design updates to the site, I’ve also incorporated 2 QR codes on site (one for mobile, and one for standard). So I thought I should explain what these are, and also where to get one for your own site.
So what is a QR Code? A QR Code is a matrix code (or 2D bar code) created by Japanese corporation Denso-Wave in 1994. The “QR” is derived from “Quick Response”, as the creator intended the code to allow its contents to be decoded at high speed. There are a number of features that sets the code apart and ahead of the standard bar code.
- Small print out size
- Kanji and kana capability
- Dirt and damage resistant
- Readable from any direction in 360°
- Structured Append Feature
But it’s one thing to understand QR Codes, but how to use them to better your business is where the real value lies. At the time of writing, MarketingMag actually discussed the topic and their video offered some great marketing tips:
Anthony McGregor Dey answers the questions what are QR Codes anyway and why the hell should I give a damn?
- Must link to mobile content – don’t simply link them your homepage as this is not a good user experience..
- make these an extension of your print story/campaign
- Think creatively about what content you want to display on the mobile device