12 Australia social media statistics The guys at Hitwise have…
Tip who is heading up some of the Sydney activities for SMSYD got back to me and my concerns. Tip is a good friend and definitely someone worth following. I should probably clarify at this point that it was not my intention to stamp out the activities of the organisation.As things move forward in the world of digital and social media, it’s easy to become uneasy about a lot of things. JC has thrown his hands up at social media, Pollard spat the dummy about buzzwords, Marcus let’s loose about social media experts, and David Gillespie called Social Media out.
The below is a solid response from Tip and a list of good reasons to get involved. As always, look forward to your thoughts.
As part of the team who are putting together the Social Media Club in Sydney, I felt it imperative to address your concerns as soon as I was made aware of your post.
- @SMCSYD on Twitter is the Twitter account for the Social Media Club Sydney.
- Social Media Club Sydney is the local chapter for http://www.socialmediaclub.org/
- Chris Heuer and Kristie Wells started Social Media Club (SMC) in July 2006 to help people find all the relevant communities of interest in which they want to participate. In their own words “we want to help you explore your personal and professional passions by helping you connect with a community of your peers based on both geography and areas of interest. We want to ensure that the world of Social Media does not become an echo chamber of self-reinforcing thoughts, but is instead fueled by diversity of opinion and perspective.”
- I think your reading of club is very literal and suggests that there is screening for membership etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. The intent of the Twitter account and the Facebook page is to get as many diverse people involved as possible, and outside of the usual marketing/advertising/branding people that normally dominate the dialogue in this space.
- The intent of SMCSYD is to be an addition rather than a replacement for the coffee mornings. So many times I have gotten into interesting discussions at the coffee mornings and had to leave to attend paid work, a.k.a the day job. SMCSYD is intending to meet once a month in the early evenings so there will be more time to explore.
- SMCSYD is also intending to have short presentations which highlight relevant social media case studies – from media, government and industry. There is a “no pitch/no sell” policy, so the presenters who try to do a hard sell will have to face the consequences. In this presentation format, we are hoping to have 2 to 3 different people/perspectives per session – short and to the point. Audience feedback and question time will be encouraged.
- The venue we have chosen for SMCSYD is a lounge bar in the inner east, which is comfortable and fully licensed and as far away from a corporate boardroom as we can find. The intent is to use a social venue for social media, at the end of a working day so you can unwind with a couple of drinks and mix with new people.
- We are merely providing the mechanism to come together to share learnings and insights gained in the social media space. And as a secondary intent, is to extend the network of social media advocates to a wider population base. Whoever wants to come, can come. If the SMCSYD doesn’t take off because people don’t want to come, then so be it. It gets dissolved and thats the end of it
- Ultimately if you want to get hung up on semantics and stigmas associated with social media being the flavour of the month and so ripe for a jargon bashing – there is not much we can do about that. The reason its called Social Media Club is because of Kristie and Chris and they started it back in the dark ages of 2006 when social media was just a twinkle in the interwebs eye.
- If you want to get involved, please come and participate in the conversation. There are no exclusions, and there is plenty of room for diversity and a variety of opinions
So there are no exclusions, no secret handshakes, and all are welcome. Especially you :)