This could be one of the best posts for 2009…
Future gazing at the future of social media and digital
So I’ve been doing a little crystal ball gazing. And here’s my current view. I’m going to put it into bullet points, so I can hold my rant back a little.
- The primary activities online are Searches on search engines (i.e. Google) and Social Media (e.g. Facebook) and hold an average of 23% and 22% (Hitwise) respectively.
- What ranks well in Google is relevant (keyword density, targeted pages on site etc), engaging (more comments etc.) and authoritative (more link backs) content
- Naturally, most of this content is starting to come from social media (blogs were the first of many strong linking strategies etc.)
So, got the connection?
- If brands can offer this content, via social media, and their sites have a strong SEO strategy: then they will effectively have the highest chance of ranking well in Google and providing a valuable resource of information for online communities.
- Branded content examples: tutorial videos (Canon EOS learn series), written content (Mothercare advice cards)
Branded content, social media and SEO will be big for 2010. Think beyond text, and think both about the creative, technical and community implications. (Update: post on branded content seminar)
When I’m planning any strategy – what I’ve termed “content and community plan” are key to any social media strategy.
Key ingredients for your digital strategy for 2010
- Max Audience: SEO Strategy (On-site, off-site)
- Max Community: Social Media Strategy (aligned with business outcomes)
- Max Value for Community: Content Strategy (compelling, engaging, valuable)
I’ve expressed these views to a few of my colleagues, and so far I’ve had positive resonance. VentureOne are also running a seminar on it this week in fact. MyBuzz are also doing this well with new programs coming up. Would love to hear your thoughts too. [Review of seminar]